Beddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey. Wallington is a chapelry of Beddington.
Other places in the parish include: Beddington Corner.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
Nonconformists include: Calvinist
- Croydon St John the Baptist
- Mitcham St Peter and Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BEDDINGTON, a Village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Wandle, near the Southeastern and the Wimbledon and Croydon railways, 2¼. miles W of Croydon; and it has a station on the latter railway, and a post office under Croydon, London S. The parish includes also the place called Beddington Corner, and the hamlet of Wallington. Acres, 3,909. Real property, £12,060. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 311. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Carews from 1360 till 1860. Beddington House, on the manor, now the seat of the Rev. A. H. Bridges, is chiefly a brick edifice of 1709; but includes a great hall, with very rich open roof, visited by Queen Elizabeth; and contained interesting family portraits, a curious trophy of arms, and an elaborately-formed door-lock. An orangery here, destroyed in 1739, sprang from pips imported by Sir Francis Carew, the brother-in-law of Sir walter Raleigh, the first pips planted in England. At Woodcote, in the southern part of the parish, many Roman remains have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1,212. Patron, the Rev. A. H. Bridges. The church shows Norman traces; was founded before the Con quest, and rebuilt of flint in the time of Richard I.; was renovated and extended, at a cost of £3,000, in 1850; and was again repaired in 1869. The p. curacy of Wallington is a separate charge, formed in 1867.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey, Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - Winchester, Post-1845 - London
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: Croydon