Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Lydgate
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1547
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563
Nonconformists include: Independent
Parishes adjacent to Lidgate
- Ashley with Silverley
Historical Descriptions of Lidgate
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LIDGATE, or LYDGATE, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket and county of Suffolk. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 6 miles S by W of Higham r. station, and 6½ SE of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket. The parish comprises 1,780 acres. Real property, £3,120. Pop., 443. Houses, 99. The property is divided chiefly among four. The manor belonged to Richard "sans Nose"; was given by him to Bury abbey; and belongs now to W. Kitchiner, Esq. Remains exist of a castle, which belonged to the Earl of Pembroke, in the time of Edward III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £485. Patron, the Rev. Robert H. Cave. The church is ancient; was restored partly in 1853, and further in 1863; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are an Independent chapel, a parochial school, and charities £15. John of Lidgate, a poet of the 15th century, and a monk of Bury abbey, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Lidgate, co. Suffolk.
P. T. Newmarket (61) 7 m. SE b E.; Pop. 389.
A parish in the hundred of Risbridge; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Norwich; valued in K. B. 15l. 10s. 5d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) the Duke of Rutland. Lidgate, or Lydgate, the poetical monk of Bury, was born here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Newmarket
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
Diocese: Post-1836 - Ely, Pre-1837 - Norwich
Rural Deanery: Clare
Poor Law Union: Newmarket