Euston Suffolk Family History Guide

Euston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Suffolk.

Other places in the parish include: Little Fakenham and Fakenham Parva.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Genevieve

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1566
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1561

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Euston

  • Sapiston
  • Little Livermere
  • Rushford
  • Barningham with Coney Weston
  • Bardwell
  • Rymer
  • Troston St Mary
  • Barnham
  • Great and Little Snarehill
  • Fakenham Magna

Historical Descriptions of Euston

Euston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EUSTON, a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; at the verge of the county, on the L. Ouse river, 4½ miles SE by S of Thetford r. station. It includes the hamlet of Little Fakenham, and has a post office under Thetford. Acres, with Rymer, 3,780. Real property, £2,815. Pop., 225. Houses, 43. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to the Eustons; passed to the Pattishalls and to Benet, Earl of Arlington; went, by marriage, to the first Duke of Grafton; and gives to the Dukes of Grafton the title of Earl. Euston Hall is a seat of the Duke of Grafton; is constructed of red brick; and stands amid charming scenery. A banqueting-house, called the Temple, crowns an eminence in the park; was erected by Kent; and is in the Grecian style. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Barnham and Little Fakenham, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £645. Patron, the Duke of Grafton. The church has a square tower; contains monuments of the Grafton family, and four brasses; and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Little Fakenham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FAKENHAM (Little), a hamlet in Euston parish, Suffolk; near Great Fakenham. It once was a parish; and it still ranks as a rectory; annexed to the rectory of Euston, in the diocese of Ely.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Fakenham Parva (St. Andrew), a hamlet, and formerly a parish, in the parish of Euston, union of Thetford, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Thetford. Nearly the whole of the hamlet is included in Euston Park, the seat of the Duke of Grafton. The living, a rectory not in charge, is united to that of Euston, and the church has been demolished.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Suffolk
Civil Registration District: Thetford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
Diocese: Post-1836 - Ely, Pre-1837 - Norwich
Rural Deanery: Blackbourn
Poor Law Union: Thetford
Hundred: Blackbourn
Province: Canterbury