Chediston, Suffolk Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Chadeston

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1698

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Chediston

  • Linstead Parva
  • Wissett
  • Metfield
  • South Elmham St James
  • Huntingfield with Cookley
  • Halesworth

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chediston, a parish in Blything district, Suffolk; near the East Suffolk railway, 2 miles W by N of Halesworth. Post-town, Halesworth. Acres, 2, 378. Real property, £3,821. Pop., 418. Houses, 84. The property is subdivided. Chediston Hall is a Tudor edifice, and the seat of the Rants. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Halesworth, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is old and tolerable. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £49.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Suffolk
Civil Registration District: Blything
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk
Diocese: Norwich
Rural Deanery: Dunwich
Poor Law Union: Blything
Hundred: Blything
Province: Canterbury