Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Aketon
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563
Parishes adjacent to Acton Suffolk
- Great Waldingfield
- Sudbury St Bartholomew
- Long Melford
Historical Descriptions of Acton Suffolk
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ACTON, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; near the river Stour, 2½ miles N by E of Sudbury r. station. It has a post office under Sudbury. Acres, 2,811. Real property, £4,159. Pop., 558. Houses, 122. The property belongs chiefly to two. Acton Place contains some old paintings and other interesting objects. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £255. Patron, Earl Howe. The church contains five brasses, and is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Acton, or Aketon, a parish in the hund. of Babergh, union of Sudbury, county of Suffolk; 3 miles north-east by north from Sudbury. Living, a vicarage formerly in the archd. of Sudbury and dio. of Norwich, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £9 6s. 8d.; gross income £255. Patron, in 1835, Earl Howe. There is a National school here. A fair is held here on July 6th. Pop., in 1801, 461; in 1831, 565. Houses 22. A. P. £3,035. Poor rates, in 1837, £467.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Family History Links
FreeReg - Parish Registers - Free
Civil Registration District: Sudbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
Diocese: Post-1836 - Ely, Pre-1837 - Norwich
Rural Deanery: Sudbury
Poor Law Union: Sudbury