Suffolk is bounded, North by Norfolk, East by the German Ocean, South by Essex, and West by Cambridge. It is about 47 miles long, and about 27 broad, and is divided into 21 Hundreds: Babergh, Blackburn, Blything, Bosmere and Claydon, Carlford, Cobneis, Cosford, Hartesmere, Hoxne, Lackford, Loes, Mutford and Lothingland, Plomesgate, Risbridge, Samford, Stow, Thedwestry, Thingoe, Thredling, Wangford, Wilford. Rivers: the Gipping, the Stour, the Deben, the Waveney, the Little Ouse, the Ald, the Blyth, and the Larke. It has 29 Market-Towns; is in the Province of Canterbury, chiefly in the Diocese of Norwich, but partly in that of Canterbury, and in the Norfolk Circuit. It contains 1512 square miles, or 967,680 acres. Population, 315,073.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.