Yoxall, Staffordshire Family History Guide

Yoxall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Alternative names: Yoxhall

Other places in the parish include: Hadley End, Hoarcross, Morrey, Needwood, Needwood Forest, Olive Green, Woodhouses, and Woodmill.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin: 1645; Separate registers exist for
Needwood Forest.

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Yoxall

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

YOXHALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands 4½ miles WNW of Wichnor-Junction r. station, and 8 SW by W of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent, and fairs on 12 Feb. and 19 Oct. The parish includes eight hamlets, and comprises 4,813 acres. Real property, £8,053. Pop., 1,443. Houses, 325. The property is much subdivided. Y. Lodge, Hoarcross Hall, and Longcroft Hall are chief residences. Nails are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £508. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was lately restored. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £14 a year, a charity for six clergymen's widows £47, and other charities £116. The sub-district contains six parishes and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 20,417. Pop., 4,765. Houses, 1,089.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Yoxhall (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 7 ½ miles (NNE) from Lichfield; containing, with part of the hamlet of Hoarcross, 1535 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 4795 acres. The parish includes within its limits the hamlets of Hadley End, one mile southwest; Longcroft, three-quarters of a mile east; Morry, one mile west; Olive Green, one mile and a half west; and Woodhouses, about half a mile east, from the village of Yoxhall. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Buxton to Bath, about a mile from the river Trent: the weaving of tape affords employment to 150 persons, of whom many are children. Fairs are held for cattle on the 12th February and the 19th of October. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 6. 8., and in the gift of Lord Leigh: the tithes have been commuted for £290, and the glebe composes 193 acres. The church exhibits various styles, from the Norman to the later English. There are a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, and a Roman Catholic chapel; also a school, founded in 1695, by Thomas Taylor, and endowed with various bequests producing about £20 per annum. The parish possesses town-lands consisting of about twenty-four acres, let for upwards of £50 a year, and which have been applied by the parochial authorities, for the benefit of Yoxhall, for more than two centuries: there are likewise church lands comprising 10a. 3r. 2p. In levelling a piece of ground, about forty vessels containing ashes and human bones, were taken up some years since.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.


Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Needwood, a quondam royal forest and a chapelry in the E of Stafford. The forest extended along the river Trent, at the boundary with Derbyshire, and thence westward from the neighbourhood of Burton upon Trent; measured about 20 miles in circuit; comprised 9,920 acres of rich soil and fine hilly ground, covered with natural wood; was anciently divided into five wards, called Barton, Marchington, Tutbury, Uttoxeter, and Yoxhall, and included thirteen parks; was used for hunting, first by the kings of Mercia, afterwards by the kings of England, down to the time of Charles I.; was under the charge of a lieutenant, deputy-lieutenants, a chief ranger, a surveyor, and other officers; underwent considerable alienation and disafforesting at and after the civil wars of Charles I.; was extra-parochial till 1801; and was then distributed among the parishes of Hanbury, Staffordshire, Tatenhill, Tutbury, and Yoxhall; and is now a beautiful tract, chiefly under cultivation, but containing about 1,000 acres of good oak timber, and many mansions with large parks. A tree called the Swilcar oak, is a noble remnant of the forest; measures 21 feet round the trunk, to the height of 5 feet; contains at least 1,000 cubic feet of timber; and is celebrated in Mundy’s poem of “Needwood Forest.” – The chapelry has no definite limits, but seems to be practically conterminate with the quondam forest; lies, averagely, 4 ¾ miles S by W of Sudbury r. station, and 6 ½ W of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £170. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was built in 1809.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records


  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Lichfield
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Alrewas and Weeford
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Lichfield
  • Poor Law Union: Lichfield
  • Hundred: North Offlow
  • Province: Canterbury