Wolverhampton consists of the following parishes:
- Wolverhampton St Peter, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St George, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St James, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St Mark, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St Mary, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St Matthew, Staffordshire
- Wolverhampton St Paul, Staffordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Wolverhampton, parl. and mun. bor. and manufacturing town, par., and township, Staffordshire, on an eminence, 12¾ miles NW. of Birmingham and 125 miles from London by rail - par. (containing Bilston, Wednesfield, Willenhall, &c.), 17,499 ac., pop. 131,587; mun. bor. and township, 3390 ac., pop. 75,766; parl. bor., comprising also the townships of Bilston, Wednesfield, and Willenhall, and the par. of Sedgley, 18,888 ac., pop. 164,332; 5 Banks, 7 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Wolverhampton stands on the summit of an eminence, amid a network of railways and canals. It is of ancient origin, and had a religious house of the 10th century, but it remained small and obscure until recent times, when it increased rapidly in population and wealth; it is now the largest manufacturing town in the county, and is known as the Metropolis of the Black Country. Situated in the heart of the great midland mining district, with extensive beds of coal and ironstone in its vicinity, it possesses enormous iron foundries, where articles of every description of ironware are produced. Steel, brass, tin, papier mbche, and japanned wares are also extensively made, with galvanised ironware, chemicals, colours, varnishes, &c. Wolverhampton has long been noted for its locks and keys. It possesses many fine public buildings, among which are the collegiate church of St Peter, and a Catholic chapel designed by Pugin. Congreve and Abernethy were educated at the grammar school (1515). Wolverhampton was made a parliamentary borough in 1832, and a municipal borough in 1848. It returns 3 members to Parliament (3 divisions - viz., West, East, and South, 1 member for each division); its representation was increased from 2 to 3 members in 1885.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Wolverhampton, 131 miles N.W. London. Mrkt. Wed. P. 70,370
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Wolverhampton Roman Catholic parish registers, 1791 - 1941 available at Wolverhampton Archives & Local Studies
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Alexander John; & Henry Gibbons; Wolverhampton, druggists, Oct. 25, 1842.
Allen Thomas, Wolverhampton, silversmith, April 15, 1836.
Bailey William, Wolverhampton Staffordshire, plumber, April 4, 1837.
Baker Thomas, Wolverhampton, mercer, Feb. 2, 1822.
Barnett John; and John Devey; Wolverhampton, factors, Aug. 13, 1833.
Barnett Thomas, jun., Wolverhampton, ironmonger, July 25, 1837.
Barney Richard, Wolverhampton, rope maker, Jan. 31, 1826.
Barnsley John, Wolverhampton, builder, July 18, 1837.
Best William, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, factor, May 15, 1829.
Best Wm., Noble st., Falcon sq., late Wolverhampton, ironmonger, Nov. 5, 1830.
Bishton John; Edward Kempson; William John Jellicorse; and William Callum; Capponfield ironworks, Wolverhampton, ironmasters, May 8, 1835.
Brooke Thomas, Wolverhampton, tanner, March 7, 1837.
Brooks James, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, worsted spinner, April 11, 1828.
Burton Mary, widow, Wolverhampton, grocer, March 10, 1821