Upper Gornal is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1844 from Sedgley, Staffordshire Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1840
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, New Connexion Methodists and Independents
Parishes adjacent to Upper Gornal
Historical Descriptions of Upper Gornal
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GORNALL (Lower and Upper), two villages and two chapelries in Sedgley parish, Stafford. The villages stand near the Birmingham and Wolverhampton railway, 2 miles N W of Dudley r. station, and 4 and 4½ S of Wolverhampton; and each has a post office of its own name, that of L. G. with U.G,, under Dudley. The tract around them abounds in fire-clay; and many of the inhabitants are employed in working this into bricks and other articles; while many are employed also in collieries, hardware works, bellows factories, and malt-houses. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry of L. G. was constituted in 1832; and that of U. G., in 1844. Pop. of L. G., 5, 915. Houses, 1, 128. Pop. of U. G., 4, 044. Houses, 690. The livings of both are p. curacies in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of L. G., £129. Patron, the Earl of Dudley. Value of U. G., £215. Patron, the Vicar of Sedgley. There are in L. G., chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; in G. Wood, chapels for Wesleyans and New Connexion Methodists; in U. G., chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. There are also national, British, and infant schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
FreeReg - Parish Registers - Free
Civil Registration District: Dudley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Himley
Poor Law Union: Dudley
Hundred: North Seisdon