Tatenhill, Staffordshire Family History Guide

Tatenhill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Dunstall, Highlands Park, Needwood, Tatenhill and Callingwood, Needwood Forest Allotments, Rangemore, and Needwood Forest.

Alternative names: Tattenhill

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1563; Separate registers exist for Needwood Forest: 1813 (Bishop's Transcripts)

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Tatenhill

Historical Descriptions

Tatenhill

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

TATENHILL, a township and a parish in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The township lies 3 miles SW of Burton r. station, and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £4,739. Pop., 519. house s, 102. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 9,408 acres. Pop. in 1851, 2,329; in 1861, 2,500. Houses, 542. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ferrerses; and passed to John of Gaunt, the Somervilles, the Griffyths, and others. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, and is annexed to the deanery. Value, not reported. The church is old but good. The p. curacies of Barton-under-Needwood, Dunstall, and Wichnor are separate benefices. Charities, £103.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Tatenhill (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 ¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton; containing, with the chapelries of Barton-under-Needwood and Wichnor, and the township of Dunstall, 2229 inhabitants, of whom 435 are in Tatenhill township. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, annexed, with the prebend of Abdaston, to the deanery of Lichfield, and valued in the king's books at £26. 1.8.: the tithes have been commuted for £1337, and the glebe comprises 123½ acres.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Dunstall

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Dunstall, a township in the parish of Tatenhill, county of Stafford, on the borders of Needwood forest; 5 miles west-south-west of Burton-upon-Trent. Houses 38. A.P. £2,897. Pop., in 1801, 177; in 1831, 204. Poor rates, in 1837, £169.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Needwood

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Needwood, a quondam royal forest and a chapelry in the E of Stafford. The forest extended along the river Trent, at the boundary with Derbyshire, and thence westward from the neighbourhood of Burton-upon-Trent; measured about 20 miles in circuit; comprised 9,920 acres of rich soil and fine hilly ground, covered with natural wood; was anciently divided into five wards, called Barton, Marchington, Tutbury, Uttoxeter, and Yoxhall, and included thirteen parks; was used for hunting, first by the kings of Mercia, afterwards by the kings of England, down to the time of Charles I.; was under the charge of a lieutenant, deputy-lieutenants, a chief ranger, a surveyor, and other officers; underwent considerable alienation and disafforesting at and after the civil wars of Charles I.; was extra-parochial till 1801; and was then distributed among the parishes of Hanbury, Tatenhill, Tutbury, and Yoxhall; and is now a beautiful tract, chiefly under cultivation, but containing about 1,000 acres of good oak timber, and many mansions with large parks. A tree called the Swilcar oak, is a noble remnant of the forest; measures 21 feet round the trunk, to the height of 5 feet; contains at least 1,000 cubic feet of timber; and is celebrated in Mundy’s poem of “Needwood Forest.” – The chapelry has no definite limits, but seems to be practically conterminate with the quondam forest; lies, averagely, 4 ¾ miles S by W of Sudbury r. station, and 6 ½ W of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £170. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was built in 1809.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Tutbury
  • Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
  • Hundred: North Offlow
  • Province: Canterbury