Swynnerton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Acton, Beech, Hatton, Yarnfield, Millstone Green, Shelton, Stableford, and Millstone.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Swynnerton
- Stone Christ Church
- Chapel Chorlton
- Cotes Heath
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SWINNERTON, a village and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Standon-Bridge r. station, and 3 NW by W of Stone; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Stone. The parish includes five townships and a part. Acres, 6,529. Real property, £8,844. Pop., 880. Houses, 193. The manor belonged anciently to the Swinnertons; and went, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Fitzherberts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,088. Patron, W. Taylor, Esq. The church was repaired in 1868. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Swinnerton (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 3 ½ miles (WNW) from Stone; containing 961 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 5000 acres, of which the surface is hilly, and the soil in general gravelly: the river Sow runs along the boundary on the west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £10. 2. 6., and in the gift of the Rev. Christopher Dodsley; the glebe contains about 60 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, in the south aisle of which, used as a parochial school, is a colossal figure of Our Saviour pointing to the wound in his side, which was discovered buried at a short distance from its present situation. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Swinnerton Park.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
SHELTON, a township in Swinnerton parish, Stafford; near the Grand Junction railway, 6 ½ miles NW of Stone.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stone
- Poor Law Union: Stone
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury