Stoke upon Trent is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Stoke on Trent
Other places in the parish include: Shelton, Hanley, Bucknall, Bucknall-Eaves, Bagnell, Fentons, Botteslow, and Longton and Lane-End.
Parish registers begin: 1629
Nonconformists include: Baptist, General Baptist New Connexion, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Stoke upon Trent
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOKE-UPON-TRENT, a town, a parish, and a district, in Stafford. The town stands on the river Trent, the Grand Junction canal, and the North Staffordshire railway, at or near junctions of four branch railways, 2 miles ESE of Newcastle-under-Lyne; grew around the pottery-works established by Wedgewood; was made a parliamentary borough by the reform act of 1832; consists, as a town, of the townships of Penkhull, Boothen, Clayton, and Seabridge; comprehends, as a borough, most of Penkhull township, all Boothen, Burslem, Fentons, Hanley, Longton and Lane-End, Shelton, and Tunstall townships, Rushton-Grange ville, and Sneyd hamlet; sends two members to parliament; may be regarded, in its borough capacity, as mainly identical with the Potteries region; and, as a town, has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, six chief inns, a town hall and market house of 1834, a bronze statue of Wedgewood set up in 1863, a church rebuilt in 1826, six dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school, the North Staffordshire infirmary built in 1866, a workhouse, and charities £110. The r. station is in the Tudor style, and was built at a cost of £150,000. The amount of property and income tax charged for the borough in 1863 was £29,375. Electors in 1833, 1,349; in 1863, 2,591. Pop. of the town proper, in 1851, 9,649; in 1861, 11,390. Houses, 2,240. Pop. of the borough, in 1851, 84,027; in 1861, 101,207. Houses, 19,855.
The parish contains the town-proper and the townships of Shelton, Hanley, Bucknall, Bucknall-Eaves, Bagnell, Fentons, Botteslow, and Longton and Lane-End; and is cut ecclesiastically into the sections of Stoke, Fenton, Hartshill, Penkhull, Trent-Vale, Hanley, Northwood, and Wellington. Acres, 10,490. Pop. in 1851, 57,942; in 1861, 71,308. Houses, 14,078. The head-living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £2,717. Patron, F. W. Tomlinson, Esq. The other livings are separately noticed. The district is conterminate with the parish; and is cut into the sub-districts of Stoke, Shelton, Hanley, Fenton, and Longton. Poor rates in 1863, £22,700. Marriages in 1863, 836; births, 3,178, of which 212 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,981, of which 1,638 were at ages under 5 years, and 22 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 7,404: births, 26,680; deaths, 16,940. The places of worship, in 1851, were 16 of the Church of England, with 13,562 sittings; 1 of English Presbyterians, with 450 s.; 6 of Independents, with 2,545 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 485 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 400 s.; 8 of Wesleyans, with 4,197 s.; 9 of New Connexion Methodists, with 5,516 s.; 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 488 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 75 s.; 1 of the New Church, with 35 s.; 1 of Brethren, with 125 s.; 1 undefined, with 50 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 645 s. The schools were 29 public day-schools, with 3,539 scholars; 98 private day-schools, with 2,517 s.; 43 Sunday schools, with 8,777 s.; and 10 evening schools for adults, with 220 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Abraham Abraham, Lane end, Stoke-upon-Trent, druggist May 18, 1838.
Brindley John, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent, earthenware manuf., Jan. 20, 1829.
Burrow John and Thomas, Stoke-upon-Trent, grocers, Feb. 27, 1835.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stoke upon Trent
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
- Poor Law Union: Stoke on Trent
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury