Smethwick, Staffordshire Family History Guide

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Parish registers: 1732
Bishop's Transcripts: 1774

Nonconformists include:  Independents and Wesleyans

Parishes adjacent to Smethwick

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SMETHWICK, a parochial division and three chapelries in Harborne parish, Stafford. The division is suburban to Birmingham; lies on the Birmingham canal, and on the Birmingham and Stour Valley and the Birmingham and Stourbridge railways, 3 miles W of the centre of Birmingham; is governed by a local board of health; carries on extensive manufactures, of the same kinds as those in Birmingham; enjoys great facilities of communication, with use of the canal and of four railway stations; and has post-offices, of the name of S. and West S. under Birmingham, a r. station with telegraph, of the name of S., on the Stour Valley railway, a r. station, of the name of S.-Junction, at the junction of the Stourbridge railway, a ''summit-bridge," 265 feet long and 68 feet high, over the new canal and railway, a literary institution, with library and news-room, four churches, numerous dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and several public schools. Real property in 1860, £47,132. Pop. in 1851, 8,379; in 1861, 13,379. Houses, 2,588. The three chapelries are S.-Trinity, S.-St. Matthew, and West S. or S.-St. Paul; and were constituted in 1842, 1856, and 1860. Pop., 1,058, 3,935, and 2,817. Houses, 188,762, and 548. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Lichfield. Values, £300, £191, and £146. Patrons, Trustees, the Incumbent of S.-Trinity, and Five Trustees.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Smethwick, a chapelry in the parish of Harborne, county of Stafford; 3 miles west by north of Birmingham. Living, a perpetual curacy, a peculiar of the dean and chapter of Lichfield, in the patronage of trustees. Trinity church is also a perpetual curacy. The Independents and Methodists have places of worship here. The chapelry is intersected by the Birmingham canal, on the banks of which is a large iron-foundry. There are also bar, rod, and sheet iron works, and a soap and red lead manufactory, besides a refinery belonging to the Smethwiek brass company. Houses 452. Pop., in 1801, 1,097; in 1831, 2,676. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

SMETHWICK, a hamlet and manufacturing district, in the parish of Harborne, union of King's-Norton, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Birmingham; containing 5020 inhabitants. This hamlet is situated on the road from Birmingham, through Oldbury, to Dudley; and comprises by measurement 1830 acres of arable, pasture, and meadow land. The substratum in the northern part appears to contain a good supply of coal. J. W. Unett, Esq., a proprietor of land in the parish, after boring to the depth of 220 yards, at an expense of £1200, has found coal-measures corresponding with those of a pit sunk by Joshua Horton, Esq., about a mile from the spot, and also with the measures of one belonging to Lord Dartmouth, about a mile and a half distant, in the parish of West Bromwich. There are likewise pits of good gravel, which is used for the roads. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, in some parts beautifully picturesque, and is enlivened with numerous good residences. Of these the principal are, the Lightwoods, a handsome mansion built in 1780; the Firs, the Woodlands, Smethwick House, GaltonBridge House, Shireland Hall; and Smethwick Hall, built about a century since, on the site of an ancient Hall.

Among the manufactories established in the district, are some very extensive works in which more than 700 persons are employed in the manufacture of various kinds of glass, and of the several chemical products connected with glass-making, upon a larger scale than in any other establishment in Great Britain. The chief articles are, the British window-glass called crown-glass; the ordinary foreign window-glass, called German sheet-glass, introduced into this country within the last few years, by Mr. Robert Lucas Chance, the senior partner of the firm; and French shades, also of his introduction, which are blown into oval, square, or circular forms of large dimensions, some exceeding three feet six inches in height, and one foot nine inches in diameter. A new description of plate glass, made by grinding and polishing German sheet-glass, by a process invented by one of the partners, is exclusively made here; and among the other articles produced in the works, are stained and ornamental glass, glass for optical purposes, and sulphate and carbonate of soda in different states. A manufactory for railway-carriages affords occupation to 650 persons. The Smethwick soap, soda, and red-lead works, which have been established more than thirty years, employ about 100 persons; in the Smethwick foundry 230 men are constantly engaged, and some ironworks belonging to Messrs. Jones, Aspinal, and Co., are likewise extensive. The District Steel and Iron works employ 150 men in the manufacture of steel and iron, also of spades and shovels, and of gun-barrels under contract with the East India Company and the Board of Ordnance. The Crown Works for the manufacture of boilers, and plate and sheet iron, employ about sixty men. Smethwick is intersected by the Old Birmingham canal with its greatly improved line of navigation, over which are six bridges, and an aqueduct of cast-iron. One of the bridges, called the Summit or Galton bridge, is a stately structure, having a span of 150 feet.

A chapel, with a house for the minister, was erected in 1732, by Mrs. Dorothy Parkes, who endowed it: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of her Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Dales, who resides in a handsome parsonage-house near the chapel. A church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1838, at a cost of £4000, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £400 from the London Church-Building Society, and £750 from the Diocesan Society. It is in the early English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles and surmounted by a lofty spire, and contains 786 sittings, of which 400 are free. By order of council dated the 11th of August, 1842, the district attached to this church was erected into a separate ecclesiastical parish, under the designation of North Harborne; the benefice has been constituted a vicarage, and endowed with the tithes over 830 acres, and with other funds. The Dean and Chapter of Lichfield are patrons of the living. The parsonage-house, situated behind the church, is a handsome residence of appropriate style; and opposite to it are the North Harborne national schools, erected in 1840. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and, near the chapel, a school endowed by Mrs. Parkes with property producing £8. 9. per annum. In the hamlet six almshouses, and some land, is vested in trustees for the benefit of the poor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Directories

Smethwick Trades Directory 1861

Academies.
Borrill M. A., Belle vue terr
Morgan Rev. T. H., boarding school for young gentlemen, Shirland hall
National, Trinity square ; J. Jennings, master
Spon Lane Schools, free for the education of the children of the persons employed at the glass and chemical works of Messrs. Chance Brothers & Co.; Fredk. Talbot, principal; Henson Shaw, teacher; Miss Ellen Duff, governess; Miss Annette Teague, infant governess

Attornies.
Docker Ralph, Paxton house, Belle vue terrace
Dunn W. J., Kelvin cottage
Tench James, Brook street
Pope Leeke, Oldbury road

Bakers, &c.
Bill John, Bridge street
Darby John, Cross street
Harrison Jas., Cranford st
Collett Wm., Albert street
Hughes William, Bridge st
Ingram William, Rolfe st
Reece Robt., High st west
Wakelin Wm., Lr Cross st
Woodward J., High st west

Beer Houses.
Bates Isaac, Birmingham rd
Bickford Richard, George st
Bishop Joseph, High st west
Brighton Samuel, Rolfe st
Butler George, Rolfe street
Campton Emily, Baldwin st
Chatwin Henry, Oldbury rd
Curran John, George street
Darby John, Cross street
Dixon Eli, George street
Dudley Ann, Poplar street
Derecourt John G., Rolfe st
Duncan William, Rolfe st
Edwards William, Union st
Edwards Jph., Oldbury rd
Fantham Isaac, Bridge st
Hadley Charles, Cross street
Halford Wm., Halford st
Harvey Wm., George street
Harris Samuel, Harding st
Hicks George, Albert street
Hopkins John, London st .
Kirby John, Oldbury road
Malcolm Dvd., Oldbury rd
Manning John, Bridge st
Maybury T., Brasshouse ln
Monk Martha, Bridge street
Normansell, J., High st west
Oatridge Orlando, Cape lane
Orton Geo., Brasshouse lane
Pargeter Thomas, Cranford street
Parker Edward, Cranford st
Pearsall Samuel, Spon lane
Powell Saml., High st west
Power Thomas, Heath street
Powner Thomas, Six ways
Prentiss Thos., Oldbury rd
Purcell John, Cranford st
Radford George, Cranford street
Randon W., Oldbury road
Roch Thomas, Oldbury rd
Simpson John, Rolfe street
Thomas S., High street west
Tilsley Joseph, Rolfe street
Wesson Walter, Cranford st
Whitford Benjamin, Hill st
Wilton Charles, Rolfe street
Workman John, Bridge st
Wood John, Rolfe street

Blacksmiths.
Averall E., High street west
Brighton Samuel, Rolfe st
Bishop Jph., High st west
Butler George, Rolfe street
Jones William, Rolfe street; resd, Engine street
Litherland Thos., Bridge st
Norgrove William, Bridge st
Normansell Mountford, Halford street
Roberts Robt. (whitesmith), Oldbury road
Ward M., Rolfe street
Wedge Charles, Oldbury rd
Wilton Charles, Rolfe street

Booksellers.
Allen Benjamin, Rolfe street
Lapworth William, New st

Boot and Shoe Makers.
Biddle Richard, Cross street
Bridge Edward, Oldbury rd
Connor Thos., Brasshouse In
Curran John, George street
Cottom John, Rolfe street
Cowdell Samuel, Rolfe st
Davis William, New street
Day Luke, South street
Evans Thomas, New street
Glover Mary, High st west
Harper Edwin, Poplar street
Hartill Samuel, New street
Hartill Simeon, New street
Howman James, Oldbury rd
Jennings Robert, Union st
Knapp Edward, Rabone In
Liggit Charles, High st west
Phillips James, George st
Preston Joseph, Baldwin st
Preston Thos., High st west
Simpson John, Rolfe street
Smart Thomas, Spon lane
Smith J., Rolfe street
Thomas John, Bridge street
Veal Arthur, High st west
Worrell T., Oldbury road
Worrall W., Oldbury road

Butchers.
Allen George, Windmill In
Brown Mary Ann, Uniou st
Buxton Wm., New street
Downing Geo., High st west
Middleton Thomas, Rolfe st
Millward Edward, Spon lane
Milward Henry, Rolfe street
Mould William Henry, Rolfe street
Mould Robert, Rolfe street
Newey John, High st west
Simpson Joseph, Rolfe st
Smart George, Rolfe street
Smith John, Rolfe street
Smith Thomas, Oldbury st
Smith William, High st wst
Tench George, Rolfe street
Thompson John, Union st
Vernon E. R., High st west
Vernon Edw., Oldbury road
Wood John, Rolfe street
Woodward E., High st west

Chemists and Druggists.
Boyle James, Victoria place
Frampton C. W. (agent to the Mutual Assurance Office), High street west
Sutton William, Rolfe street

Coal Dealers.
Dudley Charles, Lr Cross st
Gosling Joseph, Oldbury rd
Jones James, Rolfe street
Jones Thomas, Rolfe street; resd, Cross street
Jenks James, Rolfe street
Ray James, Poplar street
Whitehouse Thos., Rolfe st
Wilton Charles, Rolfe street

Coopers.
Goode William, Rolfe street
Mason Jph. B., Brewery st
Jenkins Geo., Windmill lane
Tromans Samuel, Cross st
Pears Samuel, Spon Line

Earthenware Dealers.
Gosling Jph., High st west
Mason P. E. and H., High street west
Owen Jph., Windmill lane

Farmers.
Clarke Samuel, Ragnall road
Darby Daniel, Oldbury road
Downing Thomas, Oldbury road, and the Oaks
Fawdry John, Oldbury road
Fenton John, Harding street
Gammon Benjamin, Cape of Good Hope
Hadley J., High park road
Hadley Jph., Oatfield farm
Holloway Daniel, Pool farm
Holloway Mary, Forge lane
Holloway Wm., Forge lane
Moulde John, New street
Moulde D., Smethwick lane
Parkes William, Chapelhouse farm
Parks William, Holly bank
Round Samuel, Bloomfield
Standley Joseph, Sandpits

Glass Manufacturers.
Birmingham Plate Glass Company, Bridge Btreet ; A. Hoggins, secretary
Chance Brothers &, Co., Spon lane glass works

Greengrocers.
Bagley Wm., Oldbury road
Green John, Rolfe street
Hansell A., potato salesman, Cranford street
Meyatt Chas., London street
Nicholls Anne, Union street
Powell J., High street west
Powell Thomas, Rolfe street
Ray Thomas, Engine street
Robson Matthew, Rolfe st
Wheatcroft W., Cranford st
Wilkins Geo., Windmill In
Woodhall Hy., Oldbury road

Grocers, Shopkeepers, and Provision Dealers.
Barton John, Cranford st
Barwood Sml., High st west
Bushell Jacob, Cranford st
Chatwin Hy., Oldbury road
Dancer C, Six Ways
Dodd William, Rolfe street
Edwards Edward, Rolfe st
Evetts Benjamin, Rolfe st
Evetts Mary, Rolfe street
Fenton John, Harding street
Fletcher Joseph, Rolfe st
Goodard John, New street
Grigg Thomas, High st west
Grigg Thomas, Cross street
Hall George, Oldbury road
Harrison Jas., Cranford st
Harvey Joshua P., Rolfe st
Henley Anne, Spon lane
Hill Robert, Cranford street
Holloway Wm, Causier st
Hughes George, New street
Hughes Thomas, Rolfe st
Hunt Henry, Rolfe street
Johnson William, Rolfe st
Jones James, London street
Jordan Joseph, Oldbury rd
Ladds Solomon, Rolfe street
Lea George, Rolfe street
Leedham Thos., Oldbury rd
Lockwood Jas., Rolfe street
Lovell Alfred, Rolfe street
Mallin Thomas, Oldbury rd
Maude Ann, Union street
Newall William, New street
Newey John, High st west
Newland William, Rolfe st
Pemberton Wm., Albert st
Ravenall William, Rolfe st
Robertson Rbt., Oldbury rd
Rogers Susan, Bridge street
Simpson Samuel, Rolfe st
Smith Edward, Oldbury rd
Smith Henry, Rolfe street
Sutton Thos., High st west
Smith Hanh., Brasshouse In
Thompson John, Union st
Thompson John, High st w
Timmins Thos., Oldbury rd
Vernon Jph., High st west
Wall C., Brasshouse lane
Wright Saml., High st west

Hairdressers.
Barnfield George, Rolfe st
Betridge Chas., Cranford st
Reece John, Rolfe street
Sharpe Sarah, High st west
Wood Joseph, High st west

Horse Dealers.
Lewis John, Oldbury road
Mould Dennis, Smethwick In

Inns and Taverns.
Bear, R. Sankey , Bearwood In
Blue Gates, George Allen Smith (Inland Revenue Office), High street west
Britannia (Old), W. Underhill, Oldbury road
Boot and Slipper, John Vaughan, Rolfe street
Cape of Good Hope, J. Gorton, Oldbury road
Crown and Anchor, William Warwick, New street
Crown, Hy. Mitchell, High street west
Engine Inn (Old), William Higgins, Rabone lane
Globe Inn, H. Cook, Cape In
New Talbot, John Ingram, High street west
London Works' Tavern, H. Smith, London street
Moilliet's Arms, J. Allerton, Cranford street
Navigation Inn (New), Isaac Fantham. Bridge street
Navigation Inn (Old), Wm. Lester, Forge lane
New Inn, Wm. Edwards, Union street
Old Talbot, Sarah Robinson, High street west
Plough, John Downing, Oldbury road
Red Cow, Charles Lewis, Birmingham road
Sow and Pigs, Saml. Hall, Birmingham road
Spon Lane Tavern, Samuel Underhill, Spon lane
Star, C. Skeet, Rolfe street
Swan Inn, Jane Rudge, Oldbury road
Travellers' Rest, William Bridges, Brasshouse lane
Vine, J. Calloway, Albert st
Windmill Tavern, John Nicholls, Windmill lane

Ironfounders, &c.
Astbury Thos., Smethwick foundry, Rolfe street
Bennet Peter Duckworth, Belle vue terrace
Cross Solomon, Queen st
Deeley George, Belle vue terrace
Horton J. & W., Etna works, Rolfe street
Page E., Crown iron works
Orme Wm., Dolphin works
Reeves H., Belle vue terrace
Watt J. & Co., Soho foundry

Ironmongers.
Mallin Thos., Oldbury road
Middleton Thos., Rolfe st
Tay Henry, Rolfe street
Tongue Wm. Thos.
Vernon Jabez, High st west

Joiners, &c.
Callaway John, Albert st
Mason Edwin, Oldbury road.
Newland Wm., Broomfield st
Walton E., High park road
Walton George (coffin mkr), Union street
Whitehouse Wm. (builder and coffin maker), Cross st

Linen and Woollen Drapers.
Gray John, Halford street
Gosling Wm., High st west
Moore Joseph, Rolfe street
Price & Stocker, Rolfe street
Prit Thos., Lower Cross st
Swift Wm., High st west
Welch W. S., High st west

Milliners, &c.
Carter Elizabeth, Cross st
Knock P., High st west
Scott My. Ann, Cross street
Smith Elizabeth, Cross st
Wilkinson H., Gt Arthur st

Pawnbrokers.
Hodgetts J., Oldbury road
Meredith Hannah & M ., Union street
Payne John, High st west

Plumbers, Painters, &c.
Bowdler T., Brasshouse lane
Copley Hy., Cranford st
Dudley Thos., High st west
Elliot John R., Brewery st
Holbrow N., Gt Arthur st
Mallet Hy., Halford street
Parkes John, South street

Railway.
London and North Western Railway Station (Stour Valley line), Rolfe street; Mr. J. S. Best, station master

Saddlers.
Deakin Thos., Brasshouse ln
Howes Philip, High st west
Robson Geo., High st west
Smith R, High street west

Surgeons.
Allcock A., Birmingham rd
Allen Chas,, Windmill lane
Chavasse C. A., Bellevue terr
Davis Wm., Oldbury road
Gibson Thos., Oldbury road
Hicks Chas., High st west
Jackson J. F., Victoria place
Sutton Win., Rolfe street

Tailors.
Crabtree John, Rolfe street
Edwards Wm., Oldbury rd
Gray John, Halford street
Harris John, Cross street
Tench Wm., Spon lane
Vernon Jas., High st west

Watchmakers.
Clarence Fredk., High street
Lane Henry, Cross street
Timms Thos., Rolfe street

Wheelwrights.
James Wm., High st west
Jones Wm., Rolfe street; resd, Engine street
Newland W., Broomfield
Price Thos., Brasshouse In
Ward Michael, Rolfe street

Source: Corporation General and Trades Directory of Birmingham and Wolverhampton; William Cornish, Birmingham; 1861.

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Kings Norton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: West Bromwich
  • Poor Law Union: Kings Norton
  • Hundred: South Offlow
  • Province: Canterbury