Sandon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Dayhills, Day-Hills, Smallrice, and Normicott.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1636
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Protestant Dissenters

Parishes adjacent to Sandon

Historical Descriptions

Sandon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SANDON, a village and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The village stands near the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the North Staffordshire railway, 4¾ miles SE of Stone; has a station on the railway, a post-office under Stone, and a fair on 14 Nov.: and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Harrowby. The parish contains also Smallrice hamlet, and part of Dayhills; and comprises 3,640 acres. Real property, £6,502. Pop., 590. Houses, 108. The manor belonged to Earl Algar; passed to Hugh Lupus, the De Malbancs, the Vernons, the Staffords, the Erdeswicks, and others; and, with Sandon Hall, belongs now to the Earl of Harrowby. An obelisk, 75 feet high, erected in 1806, to the memory of W. Pitt, stands on an eminence in S. Hall park; and a Gothic shrine, containing two tablets to S. Percival, is in a grove on the E side of the park. An action, between the parliamentarians and the royalists, was fought at Hopton-Heath in 1642. Good building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £355. Patron, the Earl of Harrowby. The church is ancient. Charities, £7. Erdeswick, the antiquary, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Dayhills

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Dayhills, a hamlet in Milwich and Sandon parishes, Stafford; 5 ½ miles ESE of Stone.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Smallrice

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SMALLRICE, a hamlet in Sandon parish, Staffordshire; 4¼ miles NNE of Stafford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Maps

Historical Maps

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Stone
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Stone
  • Poor Law Union: Stone
  • Hundred: South Pirehill
  • Province: Canterbury