Salt is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1843 from Stafford St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Salt and Enson, Stafford St James
Other places in the parish include: Enson.
Parish registers begin: 1843
Nonconformists include: Protestant Dissenters, Wesleyans.
Parishes adjacent to Salt
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SALT, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in St. Mary and St. Chad parish, Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Trent and the Grand Trunk canal, near Sandon r. station, and 3½ miles N N E of Stafford. The township includes also the hamlet of Enson. Real property, £2,795. Pop., 509. Houses, 108. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Post-town, Sandon, under Stone. Pop., 808. Houses, 165. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church was built in 1842; and a national school was built in 1857.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Salt, with Enson, a township, in the parish of St. Mary and St. Chad, Stafford, union of Stafford, S division of the hundred of Pirehill, N division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (NE by N) from Stafford; containing 580 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for £247, payable to the trustees of the Stafford charities. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stafford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Stafford
- Poor Law Union: Stafford
- Hundred: South Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury