Rushton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1726 from chapelry in Leek Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Rushton Spencer, Rushton James, and Heaton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1700
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1693
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RUSHTON, two townships and a chapelry in Leek parish, Stafford. The townships are R.-James and R.-Spencer; they adjoin each other; and the latter lies on the North Staffordshire railway, near the river Dane, 5 miles NNW of Leek, and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Macclesfield. Real property, £1,762 and £2,537. Pop., 273 and 358. Houses, 55 and 78. The manor of R.-James belongs to Antrobus, Esq.; and that of R.-Spencer to freeholders. The chapelry includes also the township of Heaton; and, in 1861, had a pop. of 1,027. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £148. Patron, the Vicar of Leek. The church is very old, and was formerly called "the chapel in the wilderness." There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Leek
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leek
Poor Law Union: Leek
Hundred: North Totmonslow