Rowley Regis is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1848 from chapelry in Clent Ancient Parish (Worcestershire).
Other places in the parish include: Old Hill and Tividale.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Reddal Hill
- West Bromwich Christ Church
- Kate's Hill
- Dudley St Thomas
- Tipton St Martin
- Dudley St Edmund
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROWLEY-REGIS, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Dudley district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the Birmingham and Stourbridge railway, near the Birmingham canal, 2¾ miles S E of Dudley; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Dudley, and a police station. The parish contains also the villages or hamlets of Cradley-Heath, Old Hill, Reddall-Hill, and Tividale. Acres, 3,503. Real property, £98,550; of which £44,234 are in mines, £320 in quarries, £32,699 in iron-works, and £356 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 14,249; in 1861, 19,785. Houses, 3,685. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of mining operations, and of iron-manufacture. There are several good residences. The Rowley hills diversify the surface; rise to an altitude of nearly 900 feet; and send off streams in opposite directions, towards the Trent and the Severn. Coal, ironstone, building-stone, and excellent clay abound. Iron-works at Corngreaves and Cradley are of great extent; and steel-works, hardware manufactories, agricultural implement works, tile-kilns, and malting establishments, in various parts, employ very many hands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and has a tower, rebuilt in 1858. The p. curacy of Reddall-Hill is a separate benefice. Value, £300. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists, two endowed schools with £73 a year, a large school erected by the New British Iron company, a national school, and charities £60. A Wesleyan chapel at Rowley village was erected in 1863. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales Wilson, John M. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. 1870-72.
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Dudley
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
Poor Law Union: Dudley
Hundred: North Seisdon