Rocester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stubwood, Rocester Green, Quixhill, Denstone, and Combridge.
Alternative names: Rochester
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Marston Montgomery
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROCESTER, a village and a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Dove and Churnet, adjacent to the junction of the North Staffordshire railway with the branch line to Ashborne, and at the boundary with Derbyshire, 4 miles N by E of Uttoxeter; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and a post-office under Ashborne. The parish contains also the hamlets of Rocester-Green, Combridge, Denstone, Quixhill, and Stub-wood. Acres, 2,105. Real property, £6,866. Pop., 1,175. Houses, 237. The property is divided among a few. Dove-Leys, Barrow-Hill, and Woodseat are chief residences. A black abbey was founded here in 1146, by R. Bacun; but has left no remains. A one-arched-bridge, of 60 feet in span, was erected over the Dove in 1839-40. A large cotton-mill was built by the late. Sir R. Arkwright. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, T. P. Bainbrigge, Esq. The church is ancient but good; was recently enlarged; and contains monuments of the Staffords. A section with a pop. of 147 is within the chapelry of Denstone. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, British schools, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Uttoxeter
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter
Hundred: South Totmonslow