Ranton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Woodside, Long Compton, Hextells, Brough Hill, Park Nook, Parknook, and Wood Side.
Alternative names: Ronton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RANTON, or Ronton, a parish in the district and county of Stafford; on an affluent of the river Sow, 2¼ miles N by W of Haughton r. station, and 4¼ W by N of Stafford. It contains the hamlets of Hextells, Brough-Hill, Long Compton, Parknook, and Woodside; and its post town is Stafford. Acres, 1,970. Real property, with Coton, £3,494. Pop., 280. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lichfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £93. Patron, the Earl of Lichfield. The church is tolerable; and there is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stafford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stafford
Poor Law Union: Stafford
Hundred: South Pirehill