Penkhull is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1845 from Stoke upon Trent Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Boothen, Stoke Road, Penkhall, Hartshill, and Basford.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1843
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Newcastle under Lyme St George
- Trent Vale
- Newcastle under Lyme
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENKHULL, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford. The village stands 1¼ mile WSW of Stoke-upon-Trent r. station. The township includes the village, and shares largely in the prosperity of the Potteries. Real property, £235,609; of which £108,956 are in railways, £69,705 in canals, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 9,207; in 1861, 10,865. Houses, 2,135. The Stoke workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 391 inmates. The chapelry includes but a portion of the township, and was constituted in 1844. Post-town, Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop. in 1861, 2,110. Houses, 365. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £151. Patron, the Rev. T. W. Minton. The church is good; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The new North Stafford infirmary is here; and was built in 1866-8, at a cost of £33,000.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stoke upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
Poor Law Union: Stoke on Trent
Hundred: North Pirehill