Norton Canes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Norton Caines, Norton under Cannock
Other places in the parish include: Little Wyrley and Brownhills.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1566
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK, or Norton-Canes, a village and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, near the S side of Cannock Chase, 1¾ mile E by S of Wyrley r. station, 2¼ NW of the Wyrley and Essington canal, 2¾ WNW of Brownhills r. station, and 5¾ N of Walsall, and has a post-office under Stafford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Little Wyrley and Brownhills. Acres, 4,077. Real property, £17,599; of which £10,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 968; in 1861, 1,628. Houses, 290. The increase of pop. rose from the extension of mining operations. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Hanbury and P. F. Hussey, Esqs. Norton Hall and Wyrley Grove are chief residences; and the former belonged to the Bishops of Chester, and passed to the Aston family. Coal and ironstone abound; and the coal is extensively worked around Brownhills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1832, at a cost of £1,220; has a pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient font. A section of the parish, containing a pop. of 783 in 1861, is within the chapelry of Ogley-Hay, constituted in 1854. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £39 a year, and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Penkridge
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Hansacre and Armitage
Rural Deanery: Rugeley
Poor Law Union: Penkridge
Hundred: South Offlow