Newchapel is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1715 from Wolstanton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Wolstanton St James New Chapel, New Chapel, Thursfield, Wolstanton St James
Other places in the parish include: Chell and Ravenscliffe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1723
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1726
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THURSFIELD, or Newchapel, a chapelry in Wolstanton parish, Stafford; 1½ mile E by N of Kidsgrove-Junction r. station, and 3 N of Burslem. It was constituted in 1846; it extends much beyond T. proper, or T. township; and it has a post-office, of the name of Newchapel, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop., 3,440. Houses, 630. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110. Patrons, R. Sneyd, Esq., and others. The church was built in 1767, and repaired in 1827. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wolstanton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Newcastle under Lyme
Poor Law Union: Wolstanton and Burslem
Hundred: North Pirehill