Newborough is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1784 from chapelry in Hanbury Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hoar Cross.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1601
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
- Abbots Bromley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWBOROUGH, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Hanbury parish, Stafford; 3½ miles SSW of Sudbury r. station, and 5¾ SE by S of Uttoxeter. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 2,762. Real property, £4,804. Pop., 788. Houses, 158. Hollybush Hall and Hoarcross Hall are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £107. Patron, the Vicar of Hanbury. The church has a tower, and is good. There are a partially endowed school for boys, and a free school for girls.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Tutbury
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter
Hundred: North Offlow