Marchington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1739 from chapelry in Hanbury Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Marchington Woodlands.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1612
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1667
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Abbots Bromley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARCHINGTON, a village and a township-chapelry in Hanbury parish, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the river Dove, the North Staffordshire railway, and the boundary with Derby, 3½ miles ESE of Uttoxeter; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent. The township comprises 2,710 acres. Real property, £5,079. Pop., 484. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Cudden, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Hanbury. The church is a good brick edifice, with a low tower; and contains a monument to Sir Walter Vernon. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £16 a year, and charities £45.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Tutbury
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter
Hundred: North Offlow