Maer is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Maerway Lane.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
- Chapel Chorlton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAER, a village and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands near a lake of about 25 acres, the source of the river Tern, 1¾ mile S by W of Whitmore r. station, and 6½ SW of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post office under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The parish contains also the hamlet of Maerway-Lane. Acres, 2,736. Real property, £3,339. Pop., 473. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Maer Hall, belongs to W. Davenport, Esq. Much of the land was recently wild moor, but has been enclosed and partly planted. Sandstone, for rough building, is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £160. Patron, W. Davenport, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1610, and has an embattled tower. Charities, £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newcastle under Lyme
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
Poor Law Union: Newcastle under Lyme
Hundred: North Pirehill