Leigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Withington, Upper Nobut, Upper Leigh, Painley Hill, Middleton Green, Lower Nobut, Lower Leigh, Leigh with Dodsley, Painley Hill, Middleton Green, Upper and Lower Nobut, Withington Upper and Lower Leigh and Church Leigh, Field Withington, Field, Dodsley, and Church Leigh.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1541
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEIGH, a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford; on the river Blythe and the North Stafford railway, 4½ miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Lower Leigh, Upper Leigh, Dodsley, Painley-Hill, Middleton-Green, Lower Nobut, Upper Nobut, and Withington, and the township of Field; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stafford. Acres, 7,055. Real property, £10,796. Pop. in 1851, 1,074; in 1861, 986. Houses, 199. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £748. Patron, Lord Bagot. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1846, at a cost of £8,272; is cruciform, with central embattled tower; and contains an altar-tomb, of 1523, to Sir John and Lady Aston. There are a national school for girls, an endowed school with £67 a year, and charities £87.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Uttoxeter
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Uttoxeter
Poor Law Union: Uttoxeter
Hundred: South Totmonslow