Lapley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Lapley with Wheaton Aston
Other places in the parish include: Wheaton Aston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LAPLEY, a township and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The township lies 1 mile E of the Liverpool and Birmingham canal, 1½ N of Watling-street, and 3½ WSW of Penkridge r. station. Pop. in 1851, 251. Houses, 47. The parish contains also the township of Wheaton-Aston, which has a post-office under Stafford. Acres, 3,450. Real property, £10,189. Pop. in 1851, 962; in 1861, 828. Houses, 181. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Major Swinfen. A Black priory was founded here, in the time of Edward the Confessor, by Algar, Earl of Mercia, as a cell to St. Remigins abbey at Rheims: was transferred, by Henry V., to Tong college, in Salop; and went, at the Reformation, to Sir Richard Manners. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Wheaton-Aston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £220. Patron, Major Swinfen. The church has a tower, and was recently restored. The church of Wheaton-Aston was rebuilt in 1857. There are a national school, and charities £26.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Penkridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Penkridge
Poor Law Union: Penkridge
Hundred: West Cuttlestone