Kingswinford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Wordsley Holy Trinity
Other places in the parish include: Sheet End, Wall Heath, Wordsley, Bromley, and Brockmoor.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Kingswinford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSWINFORD, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Stourbridge, and county of Stafford. The village stands 2 miles WNW of the boundary with Worcester, 2¼ NW of Brierley Hill r. station, and 3½ N by W of Stourbridge; and has a post office under Dudley. The parish contains also the town of Brierley Hill and the hamlets of Wordsley, Bromley, Pensnett, Sheet End, and Wall Heath; and is cut ecclesiastically into the sections of Kingswinford, K. St. Mary, Brierley Hill, Brockmoor, Pensnett, and Quarry Bank. Acres, 7,315. Real property, with Amblecoat hamlet in Old Swinford parish, £273,468: of which £66,786 are in mines, £128,936 in ironworks, £9,550 in canals, and £1,584 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 27,301; in 1861, 34,257. Houses, 6,489. The increase of pop. arose from the increased working of coal and ironstone mines, the erection of iron furnaces, the extension of the flint glass manufacture, the opening of the West Midland railway, and the operations of building societies. The manor belonged anciently to the Saxon kings, and belongs now to the Earl of Dudley. Holbeche House, the ancient seat of the Littletons, was the retreat of Catesby and other conspirators in the gunpowder plot. Prestwood House is now a chief residence. Ashwood heath, on the line of a Roman road, has remains of a Roman camp. Manufactures, in great variety and to a great extent, are carried on; and traffic is aided by numerous neighbouring ramifications of railway, and by the Stafford and Worcester canal. A market hall, 90 feet long, 57 wide, and 15 high, in the Gothic style, was opened in 1861. The livings of Kingswinford and Brierley Hill are rectories, and those of K. St. Mary, Brockmoor, Pensnett, and Quarry Bank are p. curacies, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of K., £950; of K. St. Mary, £400. Patron of both, the Earl of Dudley. For the others, see Brierley Hill. The present church of K. is modern, and stands at Wordsley; and the previous one, St. Mary's, is now the church of K. St. Mary. There are numerous dissenting chapels, various public schools, and charities £21. The Stourbridge workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 363 inmates. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Kingswinford, co. Stafford.
P. T. Stourbridge (122) 3 m. N b W. Pop. 11,022.
A parish in the north division of the hundred of Seisdon, celebrated for its extensive glass and earthenware manufactories; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Stafford and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; valued in K. B. 17l. 3s. 4d.; patron (1829) Viscount Dudley and Ward. The canals to Dudley, Stourbridge, Wolverhampton, and Stafford, affording facility of communication with the principal rivers of the kingdom, it has become a place of considerable trading importance and opulence.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Honeyborne John, Moor lane, Kingswinford, coal dealer, Nov. 15, 1823.
Pearson John, Kingswinford, Staffordshire, maltster, June 10, 1842.
Pritchard John, Kingswinford, Staffordshire, victualler, May 13, 1836.
Smith Abel Josiah; and Isaac Shepherd; Brierly, Kingswinford, Staffordshire, ironmasters, April 27, 1822.
Thomings Elizabeth; and Jeremiah Dimmack; Kingswinford, Staffordshire, pig iron makers, April 20, 1822.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stourbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Himley
- Poor Law Union: Stourbridge
- Hundred: North Seisdon
- Province: Canterbury