Keele is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1774 from chapelry in Wolstanton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Silverdale.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1668
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEELE, a village and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands 1½ mile S of Silverdale r. station, and 2 ½ W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post office under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The parish comprises 2,579 acres. Real property, £18,115; of which £12,000 are in mines, and £200 in iron works. Pop. in 1851, 1,232; in 1861, 1,062. Houses, 211. The manor, with Keele Hall and all the land, belongs to R. Sneyd, Esq. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in collieries, ironstone mines, smelting furnaces, and a silk mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £195. Patron, R. Sneyd, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1790, and has an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newcastle under Lyme
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Newcastle under Lyme
Poor Law Union: Newcastle under Lyme
Hundred: North Pirehill