Staffordshire is bounded. North by Derbyshire, East by Leicestershire, South-east by Warwickshire, South by Worcestershire, West by Shropshire, and North west by Cheshire. It is about 60 miles in length, and about 38 in breadth; and is divided into 5 Hundreds — Cuttlestone, Offlow, Pirehill, Seisdon, and Totmonslow. Rivers: the Trent, the Dove, the Tame, and the Sow. It has 25 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the Oxford Circuit. And contains 1,148 square miles, or 731,720 acres.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Staffordshire Towns & Villages