Horton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, Probably created by 1745 from a chapelry in Leek Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Horton-Hay
Other places in the parish include: Horton and Horton Hay and Blackwood and Crowborough.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORTON, a township and a parish in Leek district, Stafford. The township bears the name of Horton and Horton-Hay; lies near the North Staffordshire railway and the Caldon canal reservoir, 3¼ miles NW of Leek; and has a station, jointly with Rudyard, on the railway. Real property, £3,215. Pop., 456. Houses, 85. The parish includes also the township of Blackwood and Crowborough; and its post town is Leek, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 4,570. Real property, £6,211; of which £199 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 967; in 1861, 1,046. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Antrobus, Esq. Horton Hall and Cliff Park Hall are chief residences. The Caldon canal reservoir lies near the latter, and is 1¾ mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £180. Patron, J. Antrobus, Esq. The church has a tower, and contains monuments of the Cromptons, the Fowlers, and the Wedgwoods. The churchyard contains the tomb stone of a woman who died in 1787 at the age of 119. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Leek
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leek
Poor Law Union: Leek
Hundred: North Totmonslow