Hints is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HINTS, a village and a parish in Tamworth district, Stafford. The village stands on Watling street and on an affluent of the river Tame, near the boundary with Warwick, 4 miles WSW of Tamworth town and r. station; and was anciently known as Hendon, signifying "old town." The parish comprises 1,849 acres. Post-town, Tamworth. Real property, £3,375. Pop., 200. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Hints Hall, belongs to John Floyer, Esq. A large tumulus, supposed to be Roman, is near the church; a pig of lead, weighing 150 lbs., and having a Roman inscription, was found, in 1792, on Hints common; and an old priory was once at Canwell. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Weeford, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is of Grecian architecture; occupies the site of a previous church, on a lofty situation; and contains monuments of the Floyers and the Lawleys. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Tamworth
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Hansacre and Armitage
Rural Deanery: Lichfield
Poor Law Union: Tamworth
Hundred: South Offlow