High Offley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Shebdon and Woodseaves.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1689
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OFFLEY (High), a village and a parish in the district of Newport and county of Stafford. The village stands near the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 2¾ miles E of the boundary with Salop, 3¾ S W of Eccles-hall, and 5 N W by N of Gnosall r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Shebdon and Woodseaves; and its post town is Newport, Salop. Acres, 2,727. Real property, £5,259. Pop. in 1851, 786; in 1861, 883. Houses, 183. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Miss T. Hinckes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £313. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, but good; and contains monuments of the Skrymshers, and a monument of 1851 to Bishop Ryder. Charities, £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Newport
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of High Offley and Flixton
Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
Poor Law Union: Newport
Hundred: North Pirehill