Harborne Staffordshire Family History Guide

Harborne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Harborne Heath.

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HARBORNE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district of Kings-Norton and county of Stafford. The village stands near the boundaries with Worcestershire, Warwickshire, and Birmingham borough, 3 miles SW of Birmingham; was to have a railway, after 1866, to Birmingham r. station; forms a pleasant suburban residence; is connected with Birmingham by a continuous series of villas and other genteel residences along Harborne road; and has a post office‡ under Birmingham, a police station, a public library, a steel mill, tin ware works, and a spectacles manufactory. The parish includes also the hamlet of Smethwick. Acres, 3,296. Real property, exclusive of Smethwick, £13,286; inc. of S., £60,418. Pop. in 1851, exc. of S., 2,350; in 1861, 3,617. Houses, 704. Pop. inc. of S. in 1851, 10,729; in 1861, 16,996. Houses, 3,292. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity of Birmingham. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Anglesey. Metchley Abbey is the seat of Lord Calthorpe. Much of the area is occupied by suburban outskirts of Birmingham; and a good deal is disposed in market and strawberry gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £600. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church is ancient, with a later English tower; and has been extremely disfigured by modern alterations. The churchyard commands a fine view, over parts of Worcestershire, to the Clent Hills and the Bromsgrove Lickey. The chapelries of North Harborne, HarborneHeath, Smethwick, Smethwick-St. Matthew, and West Smethwick, are separate charges. North Harborne was constituted in 1842, Harborne Heath in 1859; and the other three will be noticed in the article SMETHWICK. Pop. of North Harborne in 1861, 5,550; of HarborneHeath, 2,289. Houses, 1,090 and 473. North Harborne is a vicarage. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. Harborne Heath is a vicarage. Value, £100. Patron, the Rev. T. Smith. H. H. church was built in 1859, at a cost of upwards of £3,000; is in the geometric decorated style; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, With lofty octagonal turret terminating in a spirelet. There are national schools, with £28 from endowment; four almshouses for families, and one for aged individuals; and other charities, amounting with these, to about £200.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HARBORNE, or Harbourn (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of King's-Norton, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Birmingham; containing, with the hamlet of Smethwick, 6633 inhabitants. This place, which, from its proximity to Birmingham and the salubrity of the air, is the occasional resort of invalids from that town, is pleasantly situated, and contains several handsome mansions, occupied by the proprietors of land, among whom are Theodore Price, J. W. Unett, and W. Spurrier, Esqrs., and the Rev. Thomas Green Simcox, M.A., the first vicar of North Harborne. The parish comprises about 3300 acres, of which, with the exception of about 100 acres in woodland and plantations, the whole is arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the surface is elevated, and the scenery pleasingly varied. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield: the great tithes have been commuted for £262, and the vicarial for £514; the appropriate glebe contains nearly 26 acres, and the vicarial 25 acres. The church, which has a tower in the later English style, was enlarged in 1827, at an expense of £2000. The separate incumbencies of Smethwick and North Harborne are noticed under the head of Smethwick. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship. A national school, endowed with £30 per annum, by Mr. Henry Hinckley, was rebuilt in 1837: there are four almshouses; and 50 acres of land, vested in trustees, and producing a rental of £200, belong to the poor.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Free

Birth Marriage and Death Records

England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
England Marriages, 1538–1973
England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005
England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977
 
Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988
Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988
Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977
United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Grave Indexes

BillionGraves Index
Find A Grave Index

Migration and Naturalisation Records

Migration Records at FamilySearch

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices
British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Census Records

England and Wales Census, 1841
England and Wales Census, 1851
England and Wales Census, 1861
England and Wales Census, 1871
England and Wales Census, 1881
England and Wales Census, 1891
England and Wales Census, 1901
England and Wales National Register, 1939

Probate and Court Records

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

Military Records

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935
United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913
United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941
United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915
United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)
United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
United Kingdom, World War I Women's Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Kings Norton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: West Bromwich
  • Poor Law Union: Kings Norton
  • Hundred: South Offlow
  • Province: Canterbury