Hammerwich is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1737 from chapelry in Lichfield St Michael Ecclesiastical Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1724
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1727
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAMMERWICH, a chapelry in Lichfield-St. Michael parish, Stafford; on the south-eastern verge of Cannock chase, on the Wyrley and Essington canal, and on the South Stafford railway, 3 miles WSW of Lichfield. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Lichfield. Real property, £1,213. Pop. in 1851, 270; in 1861, 991. Houses, 198. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the opening of new coalmines. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Auglesey. The chapelry was reconstituted within narrower limits in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 530. Houses, 101. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patrons, Certain Trustees. The church is old, but tolerable; and there are charities £34. A mausoleum of the Ashmalls is near the church.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Lichfield
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Lichfield
Poor Law Union: Lichfield
Hundred: South Offlow