Fenton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1841 from Stoke upon Trent Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Little Fenton, Great Fenton, Fenton Vivian, Fenton Culvert, and Delph.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FENTON, a chapelry and a sub-district in Stoke-upon-Trent parish and district, Stafford. The chapelry lies on the Hanley branch of the North Staffordshire railway, near the Grand Trunk canal. 1 mile SE of Stoke-upon-Trent; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent. It was constituted in 1841. Pop., 5,348. Houses, 1,062. The property in it is not much divided. Fenton Hall is a principal residence. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the potteries, and many in mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £240. Patron, the Rev. R. B. Baker. The church is very good. The sub-district is conterminate with the conjoint township of Fenton-Culvert and Fenton-Vivian. Real property, £31,772; of which £12,042 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 5,767; in 1861, 7,882. Houses, 1,573. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of railway engineering works, the erection of two large iron furnaces, and the operations of a building society.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Stoke upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stoke upon Trent
Poor Law Union: Stoke on Trent
Hundred: North Pirehill