Elkstone is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1785 from a chapelry in Alstonfield Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Elkstone and Lower Elkstone.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1785
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Elkstone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELKSTONE and WARSLOW, three townships and two chapelries in Alstonefield parish, Stafford. Two of the townships are Lower and Upper Elkstone; and they lie near the river Manifold, 5 miles ENE of Leek town and r. station. The other township is Warslow, and lies 7 miles ENE of Leek. Real property of Lower Elkstone, £485; of Upper Elkstone, £1,389; of Warslow, £1,896, of which £54 are in mines. Pop. of the three, 689. Houses, 147. The two chapelries are Elkstone and Warslow; and they have a post office, of the name of Warslow, under Ashborne. Both are p. curacies, but they jointly form one living. Value, £73 and £105. Patron, the Vicar of Alstonefield. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Elkstone (Upper and Lower), a township in the parish of Alstonefield, county of Stafford; 5 miles east-north-east of Leek, and west of the river Dove. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £33; gross income £74. Patron, the vicar of Alstonefield. The great and small tithes, moduses, &c, of the township of Lower Elkstone are commuted. Here is a daily school. Acres 1,150. Houses 137. A.P. £2,138. Pop., in 1801, 208 ; in 1831, 626.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Elkstone, Lower and Upper, a chapelry, in the parish of Alstonfield, union of Leek, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 5 ½ miles (E. N. E.) from Leek, Staffordshire; containing 253 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patron, Vicar of Alstonfield; impropriator, Sir George Crewe, Bart. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A school is supported by endowment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Leek
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Alstonfield
- Poor Law Union: Alstonfield Gilbert Union
- Hundred: North Totmonslow
- Province: Canterbury