Drayton Bassett is an Ancient Parish partly in Staffordshire and partly in Warwickshire.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Parishes adjacent to Drayton Bassett
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DRAYTON-BASSETT, a parish in Tamworth district, Stafford; on the Fazeley canal, at the boundary with Warwick, adjacent to the Birmingham and Derby railway, 2¾ miles SSW of Tamworth. It has a post office under Tamworth. Acres, 3,315. Real property, £6,380. Pop., 441. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Bassets and to the Earls of Leicester-Drayton manor-house, a grand Tudor mansion by Smirke, in a large well-wooded park, with fine gardens, is the seat of Sir Robert Peel, Bart.; and Drayton House is the seat of the Vernons. Some of the inhabitants are cotton-spinners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £257. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a plain but very good stone structure, repaired in 1850: has a tower; and contains a neat marble tablet, 19½ feet high, to the memory of the late Sir Robert Peel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Tamworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Tamworth
- Poor Law Union: Tamworth
- Hundred: South Offlow
- Province: Canterbury