Dilhorne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Dilhorne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DILHORNE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village stands near the sources of the river Tean, 2 miles WNW of Cheadle, and 3 N of Blyth-Bridge r. station. The parish includes also the township of Forsbrook; and its post town is Cheadle, under Stafford. Acres, 3,648. Real property, £7,975; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 1,573. Houses, 336. The property is much subdivided. Dilhorne Hall is the seat of the Butlers. Much of the land was formerly heath, but has been reclaimed and planted. Coal, of good quality, is found. The parish is a meet for the North Stafford hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £198. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church has a Norman octagonal steeple, and is good. The vicarage of Forsbrook is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Blythmarsh school has £22 from endowment; Wheatacre's school, originally founded in the time of Henry VIII. as a free grammar-school, has £261; and other charities have £9. The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 12,638. Pop., 5,070. Houses, 1,034.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Cheadle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Cheadle
- Poor Law Union: Cheadle
- Hundred: North Totmonslow
- Province: Canterbury