Colton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Newland, Lee Lane, and Lea Lane.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1647
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLTON, a village and a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands near the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, 1½ mile N by E of Rugeley; and ha s a post office under Rugeley. The parish includes also the hamlet of Lea-Lane and the village of Newland. Acres, 3,665. Real property, £9,543. Pop., 629. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £461. Patron, the Rev. W. Landor. The church was rebuilt in 1851, but has the tower of a previous edifice. A school has £45 from endowment; and other charities £23.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Lichfield
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Rugeley
Poor Law Union: Lichfield
Hundred: South Pirehill