Clifton Campville is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Clifton, Clifton Campville and Haunton, Clifton Campville with Chilcote
Other places in the parish include: Haunton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIFTON-CAMPVILLE, a township in the district of Tamworth, Stafford; and a parish in the same district, and partly in Derby. The township lies on the river Meese, 3½ miles E of Haselour and Elford r. station, and 5½ NE of Tamworth; and has a post office under Tamworth. Pop., 513. Houses, 110. The parish contains also the township of Harlaston and the hamlet of Haunton in Stafford, and the township of Chilcote in Derby. Acres, 6,004. Real property, £6,543. Pop., 881. Houses, 193. The manor was held, before the Conquest, by Earl Algar; went to the Crown; and passed to the Camvilles, the Vernons, the Staffords, the Stanleys, the Hereys, the Heveninghams, the Coventrys, the Pyes, the Severnes, the Wakinses, and again the Pyes. Clifton-Campville Hall is the seat of H. J. Pye, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Chilcote, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £950. Patron, H. J. Pye, Esq. The church has a very fine spire; and contains a screen and monuments of the Vernons and others.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Tamworth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Tamworth
Poor Law Union: Tamworth
Hundred: North Offlow