Alternative names: Chartley Lodge, Stowe by Chartley (modern parish name)
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: see surrounding parishes
- Bishop’s Transcripts: see surrounding parishes
Parishes adjacent to Chartley Holme
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARTLEY-HOLME, or Chartley-Lodge, an extra parochial tract in the district and county of Stafford; adjacent to Stowe parish, 5½ miles SW by W of Uttoxeter. Real property, £9, 126. Pop., 36. Houses, 7. It belonged to the De Blandeville, the Ferrars, the Devereux, and the Shirley families; and belongs now to Earl Ferrers. The main features of it are Chartley Park and Chartley Castle, the seat of Earl Ferrers; the latter a modern structure, burnt in 1847. Other objects are the tower of a castle, built in 1220 by Richard de Blandeville, and two round towers of a timbered house which was the prison of Mary Queen of Scots, and burnt in 1781.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Stafford
Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
Diocese: Not Applicable
Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
Poor Law Union: Stafford
Hundred: South Pirehill