Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Caldon
Parish church: St Mary & St Laurence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Parishes adjacent to Cauldon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales1870
CAULDON, a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford; on the river Hamps, 3½ miles ENE of Froghall r. station, and 7 WNW of Ashborne. Post Town, Ashborne. Acres, 1,458. Real property, £2,985; of which £1,044 are in quarries. Pop., 400. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is barren moor. Excellent limestone is extensively quarried on the lofty hill of Cauldon-Lowe; and sent, on a railway of three inclined planes, to Froghall. Good fossil marble also is found; and limestone is burnt. The river Hamps runs a long distance, in the neighbourhood, underground. Urns and flint-headed arrows have been found at Big Lowe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £80. Patron, A. Henniker, Esq. The church has a square tower; and contains monuments to the Croppers, Wilmots, Marshalls, and Wheldons.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Cheadle
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alstonfield
Poor Law Union: Cheadle
Hundred: North Totmonslow