Butterton (near Newcastle under Lyme) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1845 from Trentham Ancient Parish, Stoke upon Trent Ancient Parish, and Swynnerton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Millstone Green and Seabridge.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Parishes adjacent to Butterton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUTTERTON, a township in Trentham parish, and a chapelry in Trentham, Swinnerton, and Stoke-upon-Trent parishes, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the Grand Trunk canal and the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 2 miles S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and includes the hamlet of Millstone-Green. Acres, 470. Pop., 57. Houses, 8. Butterton Hall is the seat of the Pilkingtons. The chapelry was constituted in 1845; and its Post Town is Newcastle-under-Lyne. Pop., 379. Houses, 74. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Sir W. and Lady Pilkington.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Trentham
- Poor Law Union: Alstonfield Gilbert Union
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury