Bushbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Moseley, Essington, and Coven.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1764
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bushbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUSHBURY, a village and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the Birmingham and Stafford railway, near the Stafford and Worcester canal, 2¾ miles N by E of Wolverhampton; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the hamlet of Moseley and the township of Essington; and its Post Town is Wolverhampton. Acres, 6,377. Real property, £13,101. Pop., 2,051. Houses, 393. The property is subdivided. Bushbury Hall is a chief residence. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £159. Patrons, Mr. Horden and others. The church was built in 1460; and is good. Charities, £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Essington, a township in the parish of Bushbury, county of Stafford; 4½ miles north-east by north of Wolverhampton, and east of the Birmingham and Liverpool railway. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £26 10s. 11d. vicarial, and £411 4s. 1¾d. impropriate. Here is a daily school. Acreage with the parish. Houses 111. A.P. £3,619. Pop., in 1801, 369; in 1831, 598. Poor rates, in 1838, £130 11s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Moseley, co. Stafford.
P. T. Wolverhampton (123) 3½ m. N b E. Pop. 55.
A hamlet in the parish of Bushbury and north division of the hundred of Seisdon.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Penkridge
Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Wolverhampton, Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Brewood
Poor Law Union: Penkridge
Hundred: East Cuttlestone; North Seisdon