Brierley Hill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1842 from Kingswinford Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St Michael
Parish registers begin: 1766
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Brierley Hill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIERLEY HILL, a town and a chapelry in Kingswinford parish, Stafford. The town stands on the river Stour, the Dudley and Stourbridge canal, and the West Midland railway, 2¼ miles NNE of Stourbridge; and has a station on the railway and a head post office. It lies in a hilly tract of great mineral wealth; forms a street about a mile long; carries on industry in coal mines, clay fields, brick-works, potteries, glass-works, iron-rolling-mills, boiler-works, chain and spade factories, and malting establishments; and publishes a weekly newspaper. The church at it is a cruciform structure, built in 1765, and enlarged in 1823 and 1837, with a tower which commands an extensive view; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Primitive Methodists. The chapelry includes the town; and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 10,755. Houses, 2,060. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Hart's Hill, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Kingswinford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Brierley-Hill, a chapelry in the parish of Kingswinford, northern division of the hund, of Seisdon, county of Stafford; 2 miles north-north east of Stourbridge, in the vicinity of the Stafford and Birmingham canal. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, not in charge; rated in the parliamentary returns at £55 17s. 6d.; gross income £97. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. Dr. Penfold. In the vicinity are many collieries and extensive iron-works where steam-boilers are made. Pop. is returned with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Brierley Hill, co. Worcester.
P.T. Stourbridge (122) 2 m. NNE. Pop. with Pa.
A hamlet and chapelry in the parish of King's Swinford and hundred of Seisdon; living, a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; ann. val. P. R. 55l. 17s. 6d.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Stourbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Himley
- Poor Law Union: Stourbridge
- Hundred: North Seisdon
- Province: Canterbury