Betley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1717 from Audley Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Betley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BETLEY, a village and a parish in Newcastle-underLyne district, Stafford. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the Northwestern railway, 3½ miles N of Madeley station, and 6½ NW by W of Newcastleunder-Lyne.-It has a post office under Crewe, and fairs on 30 April, 31 July, and 29 Oct.; and was once a market-town. It consists of one wide street; and is a pleasant, healthy place. The parish comprises 1,435 acres, Real property, £3,994. Pop., 850. Houses, 184. Betley Mere, a fine lake near the village, belongs to the Earl of Wilton; Betley Court, an elegant mansion, is the seat of Francis twemlow, Esq.; and Betley Hall, a fine old residence, is the seat of George Tollett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, G. Tollett, Esq. The church consists of nave, chancel, and tower, the nave ancient, the chancel built in 1610, the tower in 1713; and contains neat mural monuments of the Egertons and the Tolletts. There are Wesleyan chapel, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Newcastle under Lyme
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newcastle under Lyme
- Poor Law Union: Newcastle under Lyme
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury