Barthomley is an Ancient Parish mostly in Cheshire and partly in Staffordshire.
The parish includes also the townships of Crewe, Haslington, and Alsager in Cheshire, and the township of Batterley in Staffordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1562; Separate registers exist for
- Alsager: 1789
- Crewe: 1846
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Parishes adjacent to Barthomley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTHOMLEY, a township in Nantwich district, Cheshire, and a parish in Nantwich and Congleton districts, Cheshire, and in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North Stafford railway, 1 mile S by W of Radway-Green station, and 5 SE of Crewe; and has a post office under Crewe. Acres, 1,982. Real property, £3,164. Pop., 416. Houses, 78. The parish includes also the townships of Crewe, Haslington, and Alsager in Cheshire, and the township of Batterley in Staffordshire. Acres, 11,035. Real property, £19,825. Pop., 3,002. Houses, 572. The property is not much divided. Barthomley Hall, on Alsager Heath, is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £824. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Lord Crewe. The church is an ancient edifice, with Norman porch and richly carved roof, the latter put up in 1589; and it was the scene of a tragical onslanght, in 1643, by a troop of Lord Byron. A school has an endowed income of £10, and other charities £41. The chapelries of Alsager, Crewe-Green, and Haslington, are separate benefices.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Nantwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Nantwich
- Poor Law Union: Nantwich
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury