Is bounded. North by Derbyshire, East by Leicestershire, South-east by Warwickshire, South by Worcestershire, West by Shropshire, and North west by Cheshire. It is about 60 miles in length, and about 38 in breadth; and is divided into 5 Hundreds — Cuttlestone, Offlow, Pirehill, Seisdon, and Totmonslow. Rivers: the Trent, the Dove, the Tame, and the Sow. It has 25 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the Oxford Circuit. And contains 1,148 square miles, or 731,720 acres.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Staffordshire Towns & Villages
Mucklestone, or Muxton, a township in Stafford, and a parish partly also in Salop; all in the district of Market Drayton. The township lies near the river Tern at the boundary with Salop, 4 ½ miles NE of Market-Drayton r. station. Real property, £1,876. Pop., 177. Houses, 35. The parish contains also the townships of Aston, Knighton, Oakley, and Winnington in Stafford, and the chapelry of Woore in Salop; and its post-town is Market-Drayton. Acres of the Stafford portion, 3,240; of the Salop portion, 5,291. Real property of the Stafford portion, £5,949; of the Salop portion, £6,693. Pop. of the whole in 1851, 1,736; in 1861, 1,610. Houses, 340. Pop. of the Salop portion in 1851, 860; in 1861, 183. Houses, 169. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Morgans, and belongs now to Lord Crewe. Oakley Hall is a chief residence, and stands in an extensive park. Good building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,072. Patron, Lord Crewe. The church was rebuilt in 1790; but retains a previous tower, from which Margaret of Anjou, in 1459, witnessed the defeat of the royalists on Bloreheath. The p. curacy of Woore is a separate Benefice. There are schools with £46 a-year from endowment, and charities £126.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].