Upton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Somerset.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1708
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- Brompton Regis
- Huish Champflower
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Tiverton and county of Somerset; 4½ miles ENE of Dulverton, and 12 N by E of Tiverton r. station. It has a post-office under Wiveliscombe. Acres, 3,779. Real property, £3,095. Pop., 314. Houses, 71. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. Venn House is the seat ofW. Blake, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £70. Patron, J. Bere, Esq. The church is old, but has a recent tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tiverton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton
Diocese: Bath and Wells
Rural Deanery: Dunster
Poor Law Union: Dulverton
Hundred: Williton and Freemanors